Skiing from the Stone Age to modern time
Skiing enjoyment is in a class of its own in Salla. The great network of cross-country ski trails is kept in excellent condition, making people want to return to Salla year after year to enjoy and relax on the changing trails. Salla’s diverse, well maintained and crowd-free cross-country skiing trails provide the perfect setting for a successful skiing experience.
The real-time condition of the ski trails can be found on the ski trail maintenance map.
Salla has cross-country skiing trails covering a total of 160 kilometres, 43 kilometres of which are illuminated. The trails are lit during dark times, daily between 7.30 a.m. – 9 p.m. All ski trails, apart from the hiking trails, are 6—8 metres wide, two-way, and maintained with modern ski trail machinery.
There are also plenty of short-cut trails along the routes, allowing you to alter your ski route. Cross-country ski trail maps are available from the tourist organisations in Salla and from the Tourist Information Office. Places to take a break along the ski trails:
- Sheltered campfire spots 7
- Lappish kota shelters 2
- Wilderness cabins 2
- Ski trail cafés 5
Please check the ski trail café opening hours from the Weekly Programme or the cross-country ski trail map
Skiing with dogs
Salla has three cross-country skiing trails intended for skiers with dogs: Kaunisharju Trail (12 km) from the Salla Ski Resort, Ratiskaviita Trail (5.5 km) from the centre of Salla Village and Kalliojärvi tour track (20km).
Instructions for skiing with dogs:
- Always keep your dog on a lead
- Clean up any droppings
- Make sure your dog has had all the necessary vaccinations
- Please consider other skiers
- Be careful of people skiing towards you, especially on hills
- Announce in good time if you intend to pass someone
- You are responsible for your dogs
- Do not bring aggressive dogs to the ski trails
Recommended route direction for skiers skiing with dogs
- Kaunisharju Trail: Salla Ski Resort – Tunturilampi – Kaunisharju – Wilderness Park – Salla Ski Resort
- Ratiskaviita Trail: Take the ski trail that forks off from the school guidance point towards Snowpoint. After 2.7 kilometres, turn right in the direction of Ratiskaviita. After 500 metres, turn right again. Continue straight on for 2.4 kilometres, and you will reach the starting point.
If you are skiing without a dog, you can ski in either direction!
Salla’s cross-country skiing trails
|Salla’s cross-country skiing trails||Length (km)||Lighting|
|Around the Fell||9,0||partly|
|Kaunisharju Tour, for skiers with dogs||12,0||yes|
|Salla Ski Resort – Snowpoint||4,5||yes|
|Salla Ski Resort – Salla Village||10,0||yes|
|Salla Ski Resort – Wilderness Park – Sallatunturin Tuvat||9,0||partly|
|Ruuhitunturi – Wilderness Park Tour||20,0||partly|
|Kalliojärvi Tour, for skiers with dogs||20,0||no|
|Kalliojärvi – Salla Village Centre Tour||23,0||partly|
|Ruuhitunturi – Aihkipetsi Hiking Trail||5,7||no|
Cross-country skiing trails in the Salla Village
|Cross-country skiing trails in the Salla Village||Length (km)||Lighting|
|Ratiskaviita Tour, for skiers with dogs||5,5||yes|